Friday, May 17, 2013

Quick Review: The Emerald Talisman (Talisman #1)







Author: Brenda Pandos
Website
Release Date: 3/24/2010
Purchase Info: Amazon (still currently FREE) - B&N

To be normal, sixteen-year-old Julia Parker would shed her empathic gift in a second. Life has been difficult since her mother's mysterious disappearance ten years earlier - an event she witnessed, but can't remember. Julia's situation becomes more complicated after a near death experience from a blood thirsty stalker. As high school students go missing it is clear there is a connection to her own experience--past and present. Someone has to stop the madness and a chance encounter with a creepy psychic foretells that only Julia is the key to stopping the madness, but it may require the life of the one she loves.


When I saw this pop up as free on Amazon I had to grab it! I was able to easily fall into this book simply because it wasn't that complicated...does that sound bad?

It did grab me, but not the way other books have lately, it was more because I was trying to figure out what these "mystery creatures" were and didn't realize until the author literally spelled it out that this book was about vampires...DUH?! 

Why else would someone be attached by an "animal" and not have scratches on them?? Honestly I was hoping for something else, maybe Fae, maybe a Unicorn from Hell....I don't know...something that was slightly different.

One thing that did draw me in was Julia's unique ability to sense moods/emotions, pretty cool, but very familiar (if ya know what I mean), but still it didn't become an overbearing part of her as a whole which is why I was able to stick with the story to the end. Though I will say that our dashing hero Nick didn't appear enough in the first part of the book for my liking, so I think that his lack of presence made it hard for me to fall completely in love with him.

Overall Julia & Nick's connect will make the rest of this series interesting...not to mention the HUGE secret Julia is keeping will probably keep this series worth reading!



3/5




No comments: